Tuesday 1 August 2017

Belated post of some ACW action


It's been a number of weeks since my last post for a number of reasons but I've finally getting round to uploading some photos of a ACW game  we had using the excellent Pickets charge rules set. These rules as I have stated before lend a great flavour of the period you are fighting , with enough tactical challenges to deal with without the rules been to 'clunky'. The game flowed well again and by the end my Union army was starting to waver after a hard fought contest. The battle mat we used was my dads latest purchase and the dark colour of the green looked really effective, especially for this period.


The union battle line ready to advance
The leading rebel unit advances in skirmish formation
A union battery opens fire with limited sucess (my artillery firing in every game of Pickets charge to date has been diabolical and inevitably I do more damage to myself than the enemy)
My dad used his Reb cavalry to great effect and when dismounted they shot my regiments defending the hill to pieces
Again the lead Reb regiment advances in skirmish order, I eventually released the best way to deal with them was not in a fire fight but to fix Baynot, that sharp got them out the way and been a nuisance!
The Reb attack in full swing as the Union desperately try to hold the high ground
The Rebs didn't have it all their own way as their left flank came under severe pressure from the advancing long in the tooth Union old lag regiments
The blue line of the Union is well advanced attacking the rebel line
The Reb cavalry remount after clearing the hill of Union troops
Desperate close quarter fighting develops across the corn fields
The rebel left flank starts to falter and with the arrival of the Union reserve cavalry they retreat under heavy fire from the advancing Union infantry giving up the defence of the high ground
After some heavy fire fighting my central Union brigade starts to retreat as the Rebs start to get a foothold on the game
The final position sees the Union just about holding on but the confederates had amassed the more victory points for objectives and were definitely in the ascendancy to push on for victory if the game could have continued.

During my absence from posting on my blog I have been still active in the hobby with just about all my spare time been invested into painting up a blood angels force for Warhammer 40k which I have found myself returning to. My dad and I have ran a coup,e of trial games with the new 8th edition rules for 40k and it has to be said they have been a lot of fun and it does seem as though games workshop might actually have finally done something good for the actual game play, however as for my wallet of late Gamesworkshop has not been so good! I will be posting some pictures of games we have ran next on my blog and some photos of the progress I have done with the painting of my force. 



No comments:

Post a Comment