Saturday 27 August 2016

Rogersville ACW scenario


                                                            Rogersville
                               ACW scenario from the old 'Miniture Warfare'
Before I went away on holiday for a week from which I have just returned I managed to grab a game against my dad using Blackpowder and the supplement Glory Hallelujah to fight a scenario my dad had dug out from his mountain old magazine clippings for the ACW. I had hoped to write a report before I went on holiday but this proved to be impossible so I have uploaded the photos of the game with out much of a blow by blow account of the game as frankly I can't remember everything 😄. What I do recall is that it was a very close game which myself as the Union player managed to win as I just about, and I mean just, took control of the town and hold it till the time ran out. Both our armies were very much on the brink of defeat due to broken brigades but thanks in large to the Irish brigade I hung on in there. My dad suffered some bad command rolls which pretty much accounted for the non participation of one of his infantry brigades on the far right flank which he could just not get to move. Early in the game my morale saves were poor and I quickly lost a brigade in the centre but fortunately the Irish brigade were next to them and steadied the centre of my battle line before taking the town from the Rebs. My dads Texan brigade fought hard and were unlucky not to regain the town late in the game before they too started to suffer heavy casualties. I also managed to kill the Rebel general who was shot by a sharp shooter from one of the Irish regiments, the first time I have managed this since we started playing the glory hallelujah supplement! It was another great game, brutal and hard going trying to keep your troops from becoming shaken, but this is what makes the game interesting, also it put an end to a poor run of performances from myself of late!

A Rebel infantry brigade enter the battlefield
Aunions Infantry brigade rushs in March column to try reach the town before the Rebs 
Union cavalry quickly dismount and secure the farm ranch on the left flank
The rebel forces deploy into line as they reach the outskirts of the town
The confederate cavalry dismount around the farm area on their left flank
The union troops still in March column with the sharp shooters scouting ahead
The fight over the town sees early rebel sucess
However the unions reinforcements  arrive and start to drive the rebel troops back from the town
The Irish brigade deploy ready to assault the rebel defenders in the town
The Texan brigade deploys and launches a hard attack against the union centre which sees one Union brigade break 

The Rebs ready themselves for the union attack
The Irish brigade over come some weak rebel shooting and charge into the defenders
With the Irish brigade in full attack the supporting union infantry brigade advances through the other side of the town, eventually breaking the confederate brigade, although it was very close to breaking its self
The Irish brigade is victorious and routs the rebel defenders before it rallies in the town to face the threat from the Texan brigade
Some serious fire fighting between the Texans and the Irish erupts but neither of these elite troops takes one step back.
A final attempt to break the Irish is repulsed and the reamain in control of the town as the game reaches its end
The final position, a Union victory!
This is a picture from the New York Times in the week after the battle showing the Irish sniper been commended for his brave actions and damm fine shooting in bringing down the Rebel General in the newly held Union town of Rogersville.
                                                   
                                                         The New York Times 
VICTORY!!! See's Rogersville in Union hands as Rebel General Falls to the bullet of Paddy O'Leary of the 1st battalion of the Irish brigade



1 comment: